We’ve selected issues that are of particular interest to millennials this upcoming election season.
Here’s Bernie Sanders on the issues.
- Energy independence: Sanders believes that the U.S. “must transform its energy system away from fossil fuels such as oil and coal, and towards energy-efficient, sustainable, clean, and renewable energy solutions such as wind, solar, and geothermal.” He also wants Americans to be able to implement sustainable energy practices in their homes.
- Gun control: “Gun control legislation should ultimately fall on individual states, with the exception of instant background checks to prevent firearms from finding their way into the hands of criminals and the mentally ill, and a federal ban on assault weapons.” Sanders also believes that gun manufacturers shouldn’t be liable for the misuse of their products.
- Healthcare: Sanders is an advocate of a single-payer healthcare system.
- Jobs and the economy: According to his website, Sanders believes that “by increasing job opportunities and training for the youth of this country” the economy will be stronger.
- LGBT issues: Sanders considers himself to be a strong supporter of same-sex marriage. He also believes that the LGBT community should have equal rights in all aspects of their life, from school to the military.
- Minimum wage: Sanders wants to raise the federal minimum wage to $15 per hour.
- Tuition and student loans: Sanders believes all public colleges and universities should be tuition free and believes that student loan interest rates should be reduced.
- Welfare systems: Sanders is a staunch advocate of allowing people access to the social benefits of public assistance programs.
In case you missed our other cheat sheets, here they are: